September 23, 2020 | Adult Discipleship
The walk to Emmaus is
- An experience of Christian spiritual renewal and formation that begins with a three-day short course in Christianity.
- An opportunity to meet Jesus Christ in a new way as God’s grace and love is revealed to you through other believers.
Who should go to Emmaus?
The Walk to Emmaus is ecumenical. It is, therefore, open to members of any Christian denomination. Emmaus is for the development of Christian leaders who:
- Are members of a local church.
- Have a desire to strengthen their spiritual lives.
- May have unanswered questions about their faith.
- Understand that being a Christian involves responsibility.
- Are willing to dedicate their everyday lives to God in an ongoing manner.
How to Attend a Walk:
To get involved in Emmaus, each person must have a sponsor who has already attended an Emmaus weekend. Many of our church members have attended weekends as will be happy to sponsor you!
If you are interested in learning more about attending a Walk to Emmaus, please contact:
• Ken Cooper: 251-929-3935 ( )
• Barbara Colvin: 251-752-5417 ( )
• Laura Parker: 251-928-1148 ( )
We will be happy to help you find a sponsor!
Due to the continued restrictions from the COVID-19 pandemic, monthly Community Gatherings are not being held. As more restrictions are being lifted in our local area, we are hoping to be able to resume Community Gatherings once a church becomes available in the following months. The board will continue to meet to assess the situation and we will provide updates as the situation continues to unfold.
Please continue to be in prayer for all those affected by this virus and that our fight against it will soon be won.
The board has met and made the difficult decision that due to the many uncertainties in regards to the COVID-19 pandemic throughout the coming months, the 2020 Walks have been postponed until 2021. Sponsors, please let your pilgrims know that our Spring 2021 Walks are still scheduled and they will be placed on the top of the list to attend these upcoming Walks.
Upcoming Walk Dates
Women's Walk #45: April 15-18, 2021
We are still accepting Men's and Women's applications!
What happens on the Emmaus Weekend?
You will enjoy three days of singing, learning, laughing, worshiping, reflecting, praying and participating in small groups. Discussions center around fifteen talks given by laity and clergy. These talks present the theme of God’s grace, how that grace comes alive in the Christian community and how it is expressed in the world. You’ll also discover how grace is real in your life, how you live a life of grace, and how you bring that grace to others.
You will have the opportunity to participate in the daily celebration of Holy Communion and to understand more fully the body of Christ. You will experience God’s grace through the prayers and acts of anonymous service offered by the Emmaus community. You will leave with an experience of Christian love in action that will equip you for new levels of grace-filled service and leadership.
What Happens After the Emmaus Weekend?
You are invited to have a closer walk with Christ for the rest of your life; this is called the Fourth Day.
Those who attend a Walk to Emmaus are encouraged to:
• Expand their own spiritual lives through worship, study and active participation in their local church
• Become more active disciples of Christ in service to the world
To nurture this process of discipleship, the Emmaus movement offers specific opportunities:
• Groups of four to six people meet regularly to reflect on their spiritual journey and encourage one another in accountable discipleship.
• Monthly community gatherings enable Emmaus participants to meet for fellowship, worship and instruction.
• Community members are regularly informed of the support needs of upcoming Walk to Emmaus weekends, and and other opportunities for servant leadership.
Helpful Information Websites & Forms
- Upper Room: http://emmaus.upperroom.org/
- Servant Heart Emmaus: http://myservantheartemmaus.com/
- An Introduction to Walk to Emmaus https://vimeo.com/8697255
- Walk to Emmaus location: http://campwhisperingpines.com/
- Facilities: http://campwhisperingpines.com/index.php/facilities/the-pine-tree-inn