A faith-based sex education program for 5th & 6th graders and their parents
January 16-18, 2020
Registration is now closed but if you are interested in your child participating, please contact Michelle Graham at 251-928-1148.
Being a preteen is tough! Changes are happening to their bodies, minds and emotions which make it hard to know exactly what’s going on. Why is this happening to me? Am I the only one experiencing this? Does anyone understand what I’m going through? There are lots of questions - and what hard ones to discuss with Mom and Dad. This is why for 20 years, Fairhope United Methodist Church has offered a faith-based, sex education program for 5th and 6th graders and their parents. This program is not meant for our church members only. It is open to any 5th & 6th grader and their parents who want to participate.
The children are instructed by Dr. Leigh Meekins, a co-author of Wonderfully Made who has served in the area of children’s ministries for over 25 years. The program provides a safe environment for preteens to learn about their bodies, puberty, sexual intercourse, abstinence, reproduction, sexual health, respect for others, relationships and boundaries. God’s love and grace are woven into all aspects of these topics. This makes our program different from the one offered by the Baldwin County Board of Education for 5th graders.
Last year, a group of church leaders/parents who have served at least once as a small group leader for the program, met to review and discuss the program’s curriculum and components. Please scroll down and take a moment to read what they have to say about the importance of the program.
Michelle Graham, Director of Children’s Ministries
All sessions will be held in the Education Building in Wesley Hall unless noted otherwise.
Thursday, January 16: 6:30pm -7:45pm for Parents and Small Group Leaders
Friday, January 17: 5:00pm - 8:30pm for Students and Small Group Leaders (dinner and snack included)
Saturday, January 18: 8:30am – 3:00pm for Students and Small Group Leaders (snacks and lunch
Saturday, January 18: 12:45pm - 3:00pm for Parents (parents only with Dr. Leigh Meekins from 12:45pm-1:45pm then join Students and Small Group Leaders for final session)
THINGS TO KNOW
- Last day to register is Friday, 1/10.
- Registration fee of $50 is to be paid at parent meeting on Thursday, 1/16.
- Students do not have to attend Fairhope UMC to participate.
- Class size is limited. Register early!
- All registrants must have a notarized 2019-2020 Emergency Release Form on file before the program begins. DOWNLOAD FORM HERE.
- Attendance is mandatory for registrants at ALL student sessions! If you know your child will have conflicts that cannot be avoided (practices, games, rehearsals, etc.), please do not register. It is of utmost importance that students participate in the entire program.
- At least one parent must attend Thursday’s parent session AND Saturday’s parent session and parent/child final session. When possible, both parents are encouraged to attend.
Click on the following link, to see what church leaders and previous small group leaders have to say about the program: Wonderfully Made feedback